Pages

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Off To See The Wizard!

Friday, March 26, 2010-03-26

Accommodations: MGM Grand @ Foxwoods

Concert: Norah Jones – Theater @ MGM Grand


One of my sister calls Foxwoods, Oz because it appears out of the forest of upstate Connecticut like some mirage beckoning you to come and have some fun. Well we stayed at the MGM Grand @ Foxwoods which makes the Oz reference even more apt since MGM produced the classic The Wizard of Oz movie.


We stayed in a deluxe room with 2 queen beds on the 23rd floor. OMG the bed was a D-R-E-A-M – more on that later! We had a great view that looked out over 2000 acres of trees. A lovely mini-bar but I don’t touch the mini-bar in any hotel I stay at – are you kidding me? Mini schmini bar – not happening if Valerie is staying in the room. I actually woke up Friday evening from a codeine cough medicine induced sleep and saw my sister holding one of the items, cashews or something in her hand and yelled, PUT THAT DOWN! I was under the impression that once you picked any item up it signaled the front desk that some fool had taken something from the mini-bar, CA-CHING and it popped right onto your bill. I was wrong but you never know these days and I’ll have you know I double checked my bill when I checked out on Saturday – Y-E-S I did and I am not ashamed to say it.


The shower was rain-fall shower which I love and the toiletries were French. Yippee if you love French toiletries – makes no difference to me just as long as the hotel offers them because I scoop them right up and donate them to a local group that creates baskets for homeless families.


The other amenities in the room are as follows: 32" LCD HDTV flat-screen TV with video on demand, iHome clock radios, hairdryer, coffee maker, in-room safe, wireless high-speed internet access, marble shower and vanity area, 24 hour room service, which I normally LOVE but since I was only there for a short time there was no need for the 24 H.R.S.


Now let’s talk about the B-E-D! I walked into the room and fell face first into it. Just like that commercial when the wife and husband return from vacation, burnt red like lobsters mumbling into the mattress how much they missed their bed. Well I just gave a silent prayer of THANKS for the genius who designed this one. The usual stuff: 300 thread count Monaco imported linens adorning feather-pillow topped beds that envelop you in a warm caress of blissful comfort. Yes, Yes, & more Yes! I didn’t know a bed could bring such comfort – I don’t know if it was the 300 count 100% cotton linens, done up in the triple sheet style or the loft blanket. Individually each item might not have had the same effect but all together each element produced a feeling of a floating cocoon. YEAH!


I had to pull myself away from the bed so I could go and see the incomparable Norah Jones. It was my first time seeing her and I tell you I will go and see her again. She sounds just like her CDs and her playful attitude made for an enjoyable musical experience. She was on the stage with 2 Jumbotrons, which I normally don’t like but they seemed to bring Norah closer to the audience – amazingly it was a rather intimate affair.


All in all it was a good evening of great music and blissful sleep!


Until I write again -

No comments:

Post a Comment