Pages

Monday, October 5, 2015

Sometimes Forgiveness is Not Enough

I just saw a story about an Episcopal Church that had one black parishioner for 59 years. She was never accepted in the church. She was tolerated by the congregation. Tolerated is defined as: Allowing the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that one does not necessarily like or agree with) without interference.

She was given communion via a separate chalice.

Recently the church had a service of repentance asking for forgiveness for the treatment of this woman, the only black member in the church's 134 year history.

You can imagine I'm feeling some kind of way about this story plain and simple. I guess I appreciate their long overdue repentance, kinda sorta. What is giving me that 'some kind of way' feeling is her continuing to attend a church that treated her in such a hateful manner. Church should be your solace from a cruel world (IMO).

Why would she subject herself to such disdain for such a long time? I know someone is going to say she was being a good Christian - I can't with that one. Christianity demands too much forgiveness from the oppressed.

There is no resolution to this post. Not pat answer. No unicorns and fairy dust. This post is just an observation on my part.

How people treat people is sometimes incomprehensible to me. Sadly this is one of those instances.

http://episcopaldigitalnetwork.com/ens/2015/09/30/kansas-church-repents-treatment-of-its-only-black-member/

Hope this has been informative. I can't say tasty because all I have is a bad taste in my mouth.

The next post will be Tasty & Informative like Cupcakes & Travel Magazines. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment